An Australian court has officially ended a long-running legal battle between Elon Musk’s social media company, X, and the nation’s top internet safety watchdog. On Thursday, X Corp finally admitted that it broke the law by failing to provide information about its child protection processes. This admission concludes a dispute that lasted nearly three years and serves as a major moment for digital accountability in Australia.
The conflict began back in October 2023, when the eSafety Commissioner fined the company, then still known as Twitter, for not answering questions about how it keeps children safe from online exploitation. The regulator had sent a standard request asking for detailed information about the company’s anti-exploitation systems. The company responded in a way the regulator deemed completely inadequate, which triggered the initial penalty.
“The respondent admits that it contravened the Act,” said Christopher Tran, a lawyer for the eSafety Commissioner, during a Federal Court hearing. Tran noted that the company remained in noncompliance for roughly 38 days. While the regulator acknowledged that the company’s lack of response did not cause direct harm to anyone, the lawyer emphasized that refusing to cooperate with a government watchdog prevents regulators from performing their essential duties.
When the dispute first started, X Corp tried to fight the penalty by arguing that the company no longer existed in its original form. Lawyers for the firm claimed that since Elon Musk acquired the platform for $44 billion in 2022 and changed its name to X, the old legal entity was essentially gone. The court rejected this excuse, and the regulator eventually launched a separate legal action to force the company to pay the fine.
On Thursday, Judge Michael Wheelahan made the penalty final and even increased the financial burden on the company. The judge ordered X to pay A650,000,raising the original fine to account for the on going legal struggle. On top of that, the court ordered the company to pay an additional A650,000, raising the original fine to account for the on going legal struggle. On top of that, the court ordered the company to pay an additional A100,000 to cover part of the regulator’s legal costs. For a company that often claims to be on the cutting edge of global communications, the court process proved to be a costly distraction.
Lawyers for X attempted to frame the situation as a misunderstanding caused by corporate chaos. Perry Herzfeld, the company’s attorney, told the court that the dispute was just about “historic issues relating to the timeliness of provision of information.” He insisted that the failure to cooperate occurred during a “period of change and transition” as Musk overhauled the business following his acquisition. However, the judge clearly believed the company had a legal duty to respond regardless of internal restructuring.
This legal loose end is now tied up just in time for a massive corporate shift. Earlier this year, Musk folded X into his larger technology conglomerate, SpaceX. The timing is critical because SpaceX is currently preparing for a massive public offering on the Nasdaq exchange. Financial analysts expect this IPO to be a record-breaking event, potentially valuing the new combined entity at more than $1 trillion. Clearing out old lawsuits is a standard practice for any company looking to prove it is ready for the scrutiny of the public stock market.
The eSafety Commissioner has been a frequent target of online attacks by Musk, who often uses his platform to criticize government oversight. Despite the harsh rhetoric from the billionaire owner, the Australian court upheld the authority of the regulator to demand answers regarding safety. The ruling reinforces the idea that even global social media platforms must comply with local laws concerning child safety.
The fine, totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars, is a drop in the bucket for a company that Musk purchased for $44 billion. Yet, the admission of wrongdoing carries significant weight. By formally admitting in court that it broke the Online Safety Act, X has set a precedent for how it must handle regulatory requests in the future. The company can no longer claim that its internal restructuring or leadership changes exempt it from answering questions about user safety.
As X moves toward its massive IPO, it faces pressure to show investors that it operates as a responsible business. While the current fine is relatively small compared to the $1 billion-plus investments Musk makes in his other ventures, the court case proves that governments are willing to stand their ground. For users, the outcome represents a small victory in the broader struggle to ensure that social media companies remain transparent about how they protect the most vulnerable people on their platforms.









